Monday, June 2, 2008

How much does a kid value his life?

So yesterday as we're getting ready for church, Bailey is in a mood. No large surprise there, but something occured to me that should have occured to me EONS ago...also not a large surprise by the way. Bailey is not a morning person. I am not either, so this should have come to me sooner. As my husband has so lovingly pointed out to me, I am not nice when I first get up. I am not totally awake, for one. I am usually still tired, for two. I do not like to talk to anyone upon first peeling myself from the mattress of my bed. So if you talk to me you will usually get a grunt in response, or maybe a snide remark. Neither of which I am proud to admit. This doesn't last long...maybe 30 minutes. If I get into the shower right away, it lasts as long as it takes to get dressed. Anyhoo, so Bailey is JUST LIKE ME. Poor kid, he didn't stand a chance I guess. Needless to point out, he is that same way in the mornings. Since we have church at 9am this year, he is not usually fun to be around while getting ready. My mom used to say Satan lived at our house on Sunday mornings. Sorry Mom...I totally get it now! Bailey was not cooperating so Isaac told him he had 5 minutes to get his clothes on, including socks/shoes and his tie. He then set the timer. So after listening to Bailey whine about it and then be rather mean in a rather rude tone to both his brother and sister, I go into his room and he is on the floor moaning. (remember, he is 9). I say, "Bailey". He looks up at me and says, "Whaaaaaaaaat"? I say, "How much do you value your life"? At this point he covers his eyes and lets out a "aaahooooooooh.." (not sure how to spell it, so just try it...go ahead...try it out loud and see how it sounds). So I list a few more things. "How much do you value computer time? How much do you value riding your bike? How much do you value your Star Wars toys? How much do you value TV time? How much do you value going swimming?..." On and on I go. After each new thing I list, I get more groaning, with some giggling. Then I said to him, "Okay, well, your choices and behaviors will show me how much you value those things". Blank stare from Bailey. "If I continue to hear you being rude to your sister or brother, I will start taking away those privilages". Blank stare from Bailey. Then I said, and I realize this is sooooo mean (wink, wink) "Dad gave you 5 minutes. You've managed to get your shirt and pants on. Now you will have 2 minutes to get the rest on". You would have thought I'd asked him grow his own cotton and then weave himself some clothing! How could I possibly expect him to get dressed in 2 minutes! This whole time I am not flinching. I am not mad. I am just gettin' down to business. He likes it better when he ruffles me, I think. Too bad. I just simply walk away. So everyone's ready to go and we needed to take two cars so Isaac and Spencer could go and collect fast offerings after church. So I suggest to him that he take the van and the two other kids and I will come in a few minutes with Bailey. Okay, settled, off they go. So I take Bailey into my room and I tell him, "I want to tell you a little secret". He's all ears and big eyes. So I say, "I hate mornings." He says in a little voice, "Me too". I say, "I know. But you know what I do when I feel like that?" He goes, "No, what"? I say, "I come in here to my room and I say a prayer and ask Heavenly Father for help. What do you think I ask him for exactly"? Man, this kid has me pegged!! He says, "You ask him to help you not to yell at us". I say, "Yeah, what else"? He says, "To be patient and to be happy". We talked about a few more things and then I said, "Here's one for you and one for me" and I tossed him a pillow to kneel on. Then I told him since it was his bad morning, it should be his prayer. So we kneel down and he starts to pray, "Dear Heavenly Father...". He started crying, which made me cry. He said the most sincere, honest, pleading prayer! He asked for help to be in a happy mood, to not feel frustrated, to be more patient, to be kind, to be a good boy and make good choices and to have a good Sunday. Wow. Then it was my turn. After we were done, he gave me a hug and told me he felt better already. So off to church we go. I asked his teacher after primary, "How was Bailey today"? She said, "Great! Another boy was trying to talk to him and he finally just told him to please not talk to him he was trying to listen and behave". I smiled and said he had had a rough morning and was glad he had a good day in class. When we got home and I told him what she said and told him that I was proud of him, he just smiled and said, "I know".

1 comment:

SCRAPPNMOM said...

Wow, how I totally relate!! I am so glad I read your blog today. Thank you Bonnie for the sweet inspiration. Every morning is like this for us. My Spencer is ADHD and to get him going in the morning is probably the hardest and worst part of my day. I seriously need to find a way to make it fun. By the way, it's me Lisa! I have been reading your blog for some time now. I love that you all have them. Why doesn't everyone HAVE one?