Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ike



I got these in an email from my mother-in-law. Along the bottom of the email were comments people had written in. There was such diversity in those comments. It struck me how differently people look at this tragedy. Most of the comments mentioned included kind words of prayer and blessing, some were angry at God. The comment that got to me, though, was a man who wrote and asked that people "please leave God out of it". He wasn't rude, but it really struck me. People come to their own understanding of things in their own time. I believe strongly that God HAS to be a part of it. We need him to help us get through tragedies and trials, and we absolutely need to remember the blessings he gives. People can debate all day long as to whether or not this is "God's punishment" or if "God allowed this to happen so he must not love us". There is a saying I love, that applies to life, but interestingly enough could apply to this situation perfectly. It says, "Sometimes God calms the storm; sometimes he let’s the storm rage and calms the child". I know he loves us and I know that no matter the reasons for these things, he is waiting for us to go to him, and he is waiting for us to reach out and help one another. Serving each other and helping each other get through life's trials. Sometimes we don't have all the answers. But I have found, that no matter what the trial, we can feel his peace. We CHOOSE to either turn away from him or to turn toward him...he just waits patiently. I loved one women's comments, which I posted below these pics.



" "My heart aches for each of you as you recover from the mass destruction left by Hurricane Ike. Have faith in God, which got us through the devastation following Hurricane Katrina in Biloxi, MS. Reach out and help each other in even a small way, through this you will gain strength to face each tomorrow ahead. May God bless you and may each of us remember to reach out with help in any way we can. You are in our thoughts and prayers."
~Written by a woman in MS.~

No comments: